The Village of South Holland, a thriving community focused on faith, family, and future, will create an eligibility list for hiring for the position of Career Firefighter-Paramedic.
The Village boasts a workforce that embodies high ethical standards and responsiveness, with a relentless pursuit of greatness. Seize the opportunity to join a dynamic, professional department that provides a full range of fire and emergency services to a community of 23,000 and primary response area of 11 square miles, with an Insurance Service Office (ISO ) rating of 2.
Applications packets must be completed and submitted no later than 5:00 p.m. CST on March 19, 2021.
The Village of South Holland requires candidates to submit their application on-line at:
There is a $55 one-time test fee to complete the FireTEAM test and the application by establishing an account with the National Testing Network. Candidates who have financial hardship can apply for assistance through an NTN request. (See Candidate FAQ's). The department requires the candidate PHQ. You can access the questionnaire through your candidate account. The PHQ must be completed by the closing date or you may not be considered further in the process.
- Age: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by April 15, 2021. No person who is 35 years of age or older shall be eligible to take the examination unless the person has had previous employment status as a full-time firefighter in a municipality or FPD located in Illinois or served as a paid-on-call or part-time firefighter for the five (5) years immediately preceding the time the municipality began using full-time firefighters. Birth certificate is required.
- US Citizen: Applicants must be citizens and residents of the United States. Proof of "Citizenship Status" as defined by US Citizenship and Immigration Services.
- High School Grad/GED: High school diploma or evidence of a GED equivalence diploma.
- Valid State Driver's License: Required at the time of appointment.
- EMT-B: Applicants must possess EMT-B License at time of application, and EMT-P at time of conditional offer of hire.
- Residency: Upon completion of the 12-month probationary period, candidates must reside within twenty (20) miles of the Village of South Holland Municipal Building 16226 Wausau, South Holland, IL.
- CPAT: Proof of successful completion of the Candidate Physical Agility Test (CPAT) and Ladder Climb conducted by a licensed CPAT testing agency is required by April 15, 2021. CPAT testing must have been completed no earlier than one (1) year.
- Passing score on FireTEAM test: This requires attaining a score that is at or above the median score for all applicants participating in the written test. Written test must be completed by April 15, 2021.
- Certifications: National or Illinois Paramedic license obtained at the time of conditional offer of employment. Candidates are required to obtain Basic Certified Firefighter Certification from Illinois OSFM during their probationary period. Candidates are required to successfully test into Illinois Region 7 - South Cook County EMS System within three months of the conditional offer of hire.
- Conditional Offer of Hire: At the time a candidate accepts a conditional offer of employment he or she shall be subject to a background investigation including oral interview and a written integrity test. After a conditional offer of hire and the successful completion of any other conditions of hire, eligible candidates shall be required to submit to basic medical examinations, which may include psychological and comprehensive drug evaluations.
Items Needed for Application Submission:
The following application information and documentation must be submitted to the National Testing Network account at:
- Completed and electronically signed NTN Firefighter Application and Personal History Questionnaire (PHQ).
- Preference Point Claim Form for preference points. Can be found here (must be notarized).
- Copy of valid Driver's License
- Birth Certificate - notarized copy
- Copy of High School Diploma or evidence of GED equivalence diploma
- Copy of Illinois or National EMT-B License or EMT-P if applicable
- Copy of Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) and valid Ladder Climb Certificate
- DD 214 for Veteran’s Points
- Signed Tuition/fees reimbursement form (submit link)
Final Hiring List:
Candidates will also have the ability to claim preference points by submitting a claim form with any required attachments. Education and experience preference points claim form must be submitted at time of application. Veteran’s preference points may be claimed within ten (10) days after the posting of written exam scores on April 21, 2021. Three types of preference points may be claimed by applicants:
- Veteran’s preference points for applicants who served in the US military actively for at least one year and who were honorably discharged or are now on inactive or reserve duty – 5pts. (DD-214 is required)
- Educational preference points for applicants who have obtained an associate’s degree in the field of fire science, or emergency medical services, or a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university – 3pts.
- Experience preference points for applicants who were employed as full-time State certified firefighter for at least two (2) years at another fire protection district or municipality – 2pts. South Holland Fire Department Paid on Call status with Basic Firefighter Certification (FF II) shall be awarded one-half point for each year of service to a maximum of 2 points.
Note: Candidates may not receive the full amount of preference points if the amount of points awarded would place the candidate before a veteran on the eligibility list.
Once the final hiring list is established, it is in effect for two (2) years and all hiring is done from that list until it expires.
For questions please contact Human Resources at:
The Village of South Holland is an Equal Opportunity Employer