VILLAGE OF OAK LAWN, ILLINOIS
The Board of Fire & Police Commissioners is currently seeking qualified applicants for the full-time position of Firefighter/Paramedic without regard to gender, race, color, or ethnic origin.
Firefighter candidates will be required to successfully complete a written examination and an oral interview in order to be placed on the eligibility list.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS:
- AGE: At least twenty-one (21) years of age by the date of the written exam and under thirty-five (35) years of age, as of the closing date of the application filing period. Proof of age will be required at time of application.
- HEALTH: Physically and psychologically qualified to sustain the labors and exposures of a Firefighter/Paramedic.
- VISION: Minimum of 20/70 uncorrected vision, corrected to 20/20 in each eye, with normal color and depth perception.
- CHARACTER: No felony convictions; good moral character. Candidates must also successfully pass a background examination as a condition for being hired.
- RESIDENCY: Legal eligibility to work in the United States. Oak Lawn residency is not required. New hires are required to establish residence in the State of Illinois and within fifty (50) miles of Village Hall (9446 S. Raymond Ave.) not later than six months after the completion of the probationary year.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent as of the closing date for filing the application.
- Must possess and maintain a valid CPAT “Candidate Physical Ability Test” Card with ladder endorsement that was issued within 12 months of the closing date for filing the application for employment. AND
- Be certified by the State of Illinois as a Paramedic (EMT-P) as of the date of hire. National Registry EMT-Paramedic will also be accepted. AND
- Possess an Illinois State Firefighter Certification as of the date of hire or, as an alternative, have completed Illinois State Firefighter Training as of the date of hire, although not yet being certified by the State of Illinois.
- LANGUAGE: Speak, read, and write the English language.
- DRIVER QUALIFICATIONS: Possess a valid driver's license from applicant's state of residency.
- FEE: A $25.00 non-refundable test fee will be payable at time of written exam.
FOR INFORMATION ABOUT OBTAINING AN APPLICATION:
Applicants to be notified by e-mail of date, time, and location of all exams. Prior to appointment, eligible candidates must pass a pre-employment background check, medical, and psychological exam.
Applications are available on our website:
Can be picked up on lower level of:
9446 S. Raymond Avenue
Oak Lawn, IL
Monday through Friday
8:30 AM to 5:00 PM
Please note the Municipal Center will be closed on Monday, October 9, 2023.
Completed applications must be returned to the Commission office no later than 4:00 PM on Friday, October 23, 2023.
For additional information please e-mail Karen Borgman at:
BY ORDER OF THE BOARD OF FIRE & POLICE COMMISSIONERS
VILLAGE OF OAK LAWN
Equal Opportunity Employer