The Board of Police Commissioners for the Village of Cary is now accepting applications for the position of Police Officer.
Testing is being conducted to establish an eligibility register that expires in October, 2020 and for an anticipated opening for full-time Police Officers in the near future due to retirement.
The Village of Cary is located in picturesque McHenry County and is approximately 45 miles from downtown Chicago. With its small town character and professional, state of the art services, the Village of Cary offers an abundant opportunity to residents and businesses. Easy access to the City of Chicago by way of the Metra train that passes through the heart of the downtown of Cary makes the village an ideal residential and business location.
Applications are available at:
Applications will be online for purchase until 7/29/20 – 2:00 PM
The deadline for returning completed applications is:
Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 4:00 PM
(Note: This is not postmark date)
All applications must be returned to the office of:
C.O.P.S. and F.I.R.E. Personnel Testing Service
ATTN: Cary PD
200 W. Higgins Road, Suite 201
Schaumburg, IL 60195
You must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Driver’s License: Must possess a valid Driver’s License at the time of application with the ability to obtain an Illinois Driver’s License upon time of hire.
- Age Requirement: Applicants must have attained their 21st birthday by the last date for filing applications (7/29/20) Applicants must be under the age of 35 years old at the last date of filing applications (7/29/20) AND at such time as Final Eligibility Register is posted, unless they have been certified as a full-time police officer for a municipality in the United States or are otherwise exempt by State Statute 65 IL 5/10-2.1-6.
- Education: Must have proof of High School Diploma, GED Certificate or High School Proficiency Statement.
- Vision: Must have at least 20-20 corrected vision at the time of offer of employment and may not be afflicted with color blindness.
- Hearing: A hearing test shall be consistent with a level necessary to perform the duties of the position sought.
- Residence: At this time there are no stated requirements for residency declared by the Village of Cary.
- Testing: Must be able to successfully complete all phases of testing.
- P.O.W.E.R. Card: NOTE - A P.O.W.E.R. Card is not required to test on 8/15/2020, but individuals must possess a valid P.O.W.E.R. Card from a certified testing agency, issued between 7/29/19 and 9/21/20 OR be certified by the State of Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board as a FULL-TIME law enforcement officer AND must be currently employed as a full-time law enforcement officer for at least two years. (certification as a corrections officer does not meet this requirement)
All individuals meeting eligibility requirements are encouraged to continue with the application process.
Additional information will be provided in the packet which can be downloaded at:
There is a $25.00 non-refundable application fee. Applications are NOT available at the Cary Police Department or Village Hall.
Applicants must attend the mandatory orientation and test date:
Mandatory Orientation and Written Examination:
Saturday, August 15, 2020
Registration starts at 8:30 AM
Orientation – 9:00 AM
Written Examination immediately following the Orientation
Cary–Grove High School
2208 Three Oaks Road
Cary, IL 60013
All applications are subject to the Rules and Regulations of the Board of Police Commissioners of the Village of Cary, which is an Equal Opportunity Employer.