CERTIFIED FULL-TIME (CAREER) FIREFIGHTER - EMT-P/EMT-B
2023 FIRE EXAMINATION APPLICATION
Please complete all application and directions from National Testing Network website:
The City of Country of Club Hills:
The City of Country Club Hills, Illinois (pop. 16,758) will hold a written examination from October 26, 2023 to December 15, 2023 to establish a two-year eligibility list for the position of Full-Time Firefighter – EMT-P/EMT-B for the City of Country Club Hills.
There are immediate vacancies to be filled.
The Country Club Hills Fire Department:
The Country Club Hills Fire Department has 2 fully staffed fire stations. One is located at 4350 West 183rd Street (Station 13). The other fire station is located at 4520 West 175th Street (Station 14). Station 14 is the Fire Department headquarters. Fire station 14 houses a training tower that is built to simulate a 2 story residential home. This training tower can be utilized for live fire training as well as a multitude of additional classes and trainings. The Country Club Hills Fire Department has no residency restrictions. The department has 24 full time sworn duty personnel. Shifts consist of a 24 hour on and 48 hour off rotation. Kelly days are assigned every 14th on duty shift.
Qualifications to Take Examination:
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or an alien admitted for permanent residence or lawfully admitted for temporary residence and who produces evidence of intention to become a U.S. citizen
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age & under 35 years of age on the date of conditional offer (unless exempt from age limitation according to state law, proof of which must be included with application submittal)
- Applicants must possess a high school diploma or GED certificate
- No felony convictions
- You must hold a Basic Operations Firefighter Certification from Illinois OSFM and must hold either a National or Illinois Paramedic License or National or Illinois EMT – B License at the time of conditional offer
- All individuals meeting eligibility requirements are encouraged to continue with the application process
- All applications are subject to the Rules and Regulations of the Board of Police and Fire Commissions of the City of Country Club Hills
- National or Illinois Paramedic license obtained by the time of conditional offer of employment - Preferred. OR
- Currently enrolled in an accredited paramedic class or be eligible to enroll at the time of conditional offer of employment. You will be given up to 2 years to obtain your National Paramedic License. Candidates are required to successfully test into Illinois Region 7 - South Cook County EMS System.
- Basic Operations Firefighter Certification from Illinois OSFM obtained at time of conditional offer of employment.
Conditional Offer of Hire:
At the time a candidate accepts a conditional offer of employment he or she shall be subject to a background investigation and psychological exam. The City may include an oral interview, polygraph test, and integrity test in the pre-employment process. After a conditional offer of hire and the successful completion of any other conditions of hire, eligible candidates shall be required to submit to NFPA 1582 medical evaluation, which may include a comprehensive drug evaluation. Applicants must also provide (at time of conditional offer) a Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) identification card and Ladder Climb certificate from a licensed International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) and International Association of Firefighters (IAFF) CPAT facility as verification of successful completion of the CPAT and Ladder Climb with an issuance date within one (1) year prior date of conditional offer.
- Applicants that are current residents in the City of Country Club Hills shall receive one (1) preference point.
- Applicants must show proof of their residence with a valid driver’s license and secondary document with matching address.
- Applicants that are a National Certified Paramedic and Illinois OSFM certified BOF will receive five (5) points.
- Applicants must submit a copy of both certifications to qualify.
- Applicants who served in the United States military for at least one (1) year and who are honorably discharged, or are now on inactive or reserve duty in such military or naval service, shall receive five (5) points.
- Proof of such service must include a copy of Military Form DD-214 (long form) as proof of active service and evidence of the honorable discharge at time of application to qualify.
Fire Service Experience:
- Applicants who were or are employed as full-time certified Illinois OSFM firefighter-paramedics by a fire protection district or municipality for at least two (2) years shall be awarded up to five (5) experience preference points. However, the applicant may not be awarded more than one-half (.5) point for each complete year of full-time service.
- Applicants who were or are employed as part-time certified Illinois OSFM firefighter-paramedics by a fire protection district or municipality for at least two (2) years shall be awarded up to two (2) experience preference points. However, the applicant may not be awarded more than one-half (.5) point for each complete year of part-time service.
- No experience preference points will be awarded to applicants for service with a private employer who had a contract for fire or ambulance service with a fire protection district or municipality or Paid on call (POC) firefighter. Proof of such service must include submission of copies of applicable certificates. Note that proof of full-time or part-time service may be verified by the City.
- Also note than an applicant may not receive the full amount of experience preference points if the amount of points awarded would place the applicant before a veteran on the Final Eligibility Register.
- Finally, no person shall be awarded more than a maximum of five (5) fire service experience points.
Applicants include the following documents with their application submittal:
- Completed Application for Firefighter/Paramedic – National Testing Network Personal History Questionnaire and Personal Information forms
- Copy of birth certificate
- Copy of driver's license
- Copy of high school diploma or GED
- Copy of Illinois Office of State Fire Marshal Fire Firefighter II or Basic Operations Firefighter certification if applicable
- Copy of Illinois Department of Public Health Paramedic License or National Registry EMT- Paramedic if applicable or EMT-B (If applicant has National Registry then an Illinois Department of Public Health Paramedic License must be obtained)
- Copy of CPAT identification card and Ladder Climb verification or at time of conditional offer. Any accredited IAFF/IFAC CPAT facility certificate will be accepted. Information on the local CPAT and upcoming test dates are available on the MABAS 24 website at http://www.mabas24.org/index.php/cpat.
- Proof of exemption from the age limitation according to state law (if applicable)
- Copy of Military DD-214 (long form) for preference points if applicant qualifies
ALL DOCUMENTS TO BE UPLOADED TO NTN WEBSITE.
DO NOT MISSTATE OR OMIT facts since the statements made herein are subject to verification. False statements, deception or fraud will result in disqualification for employment.
Offers of employment are conditioned on the applicant successfully passing physical examinations (including drug screen), background check, psychological test and polygraph test. Physical suitability for a position is based on the candidate’s ability to perform the essential physical and other requirements of the position, either with or without a reasonable accommodation. The City bears all expenses of the pre-employment examinations. Failure to participate in any of these examinations is grounds for withdrawing an offer of employment.
See website for information regarding the testing process into Region VII System and SMOs:
The City of Country Club Hills is an equal opportunity employer.