Crystal Lake Police Department is currently accepting applications for the position of Police Officer.
This is an ongoing job posting, there is no application deadline at this time.
Additional information and the employment application is available at:
You must meet the following minimum qualifications and requirements at the time of application:
- U.S. Citizenship
- No Felony Convictions
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Valid Driver's License
- Must be a current, full-time sworn Illinois municipal police officer, Illinois state trooper, Illinois County sheriff's deputy, or Illinois Conservation police officer who possesses a State of Illinois law enforcement officer certification by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board or a Federal Agent who has possessed a State of Illinois law enforcement officer certification by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board. (Part-time certification as a law enforcement officer, corrections officer certification, military law enforcement training, or any type of law enforcement officer other than that specified above does not meet this requirement.)
- The City of Crystal Lake accepts out-of-state applicants to our team who hold valid certification from another state as a police officer who meet the minimum requirements and qualifications. Once a conditional job offer has been made, the police department Training Coordinator will apply for a waiver from the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board under the reciprocity process. A law review course, firearms proficiency course, and state equivalency examination must be completed upon employment.
- Must be certified or have the ability to be certified by Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board.
- Current status as a Police Officer or Federal Agent, as outlined above, and currently in good standing in the Police Department or Federal Agency in which the person actively serves or is in laid-off status due to financial restraints only.
- Must possess substantially equivalent skills and ability as a current City of Crystal Lake Police Officer who has completed the probationary period, as determined by the City.
- Applicant must be 21 years of age but must not have reached his or her 65th birthday.
- Meet Visual Acuity Standard of correctable to 20/20 and shall not be color blind.
- Must be of good moral character, of temperate habits, of sound health, and must be physically able to perform the essential job functions of the position of Police Officer.
- Must speak and understand English language sufficient to discharge the duties of Police Officer for the City of Crystal Lake.
- Residency within 40 nautical miles of the Municipal Complex upon completion of probationary period.
- Completion and submission of an online application and all required documentation (see attached checklist).
All portions of the testing process are mandatory. Failure to attend and complete any portion of the process will result in elimination from employment consideration. Each phase of the process is pass/fail and required to proceed to the next. A candidate who fails any phase of the process will be disqualified and considered ineligible for hire.
The Crystal Lake Police Department accepts for employment and promotes its employees without regard to perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, military status, order of protection status, physical or mental handicap unrelated to ability to perform the essential job functions or any other status or class protected by federal, state, or local law.
The Crystal Lake Police Department bases its hiring practices and promotions on merit, experience, education and other qualifications applied to all applicants and in accordance with the principles of equal employment opportunity and as required by any other applicable federal, state, or local law.
The Crystal Lake Police Department complies with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA). Persons needing accommodations in the recruitment process should notify the City of Crystal Lake Human Resources Department in advance.
All information contained in or connected with this application will be considered personal and confidential to the extent possible or permitted by law and used only in conjunction with your possible employment by the Crystal Lake Police Department. Please furnish us with complete information as outlined in this application.
Any questions concerning the employment process should be directed to:
Julie Meyer, Director of Human Resources
City of Crystal Lake