The City of Naperville’s Police Department seeks an individual to supervise and lead the Naperville Police Department’s Crime Scene and Property Unit comprised of Crime Scene Technicians, Property Custodians, Digital Evidence Technician and Vehicle Reclamation Officer. This front-line supervisor position oversees the technical processing and makes assignments at crime scenes, documents activities in written reports, testifies in court, and is responsible for all evidence and property taken into the Police Department. This full-time position works Monday – Friday, including holidays, and may include working some weekends and is subject to 24-hour call-out. This is a civilian, non-union position.
- The Crime Scene and Property Unit Supervisor schedules, coordinates and monitors the work performed by the department’s Crime Scene Technicians, Property Custodians, Digital Evidence Technician and Vehicle Reclamation Officer and provides support and technical assistance to these employees.
- The supervisor will perform the duties of a Crime Scene Technician, maintaining expertise and staying informed of new advances in forensic sciences, and oversees major crime scene processing and the collection and processing of evidence.
- The position will also prepare written reports pertaining to evidence, property and crime scene activities; communicate with state and county crime laboratory personnel and prosecuting and defense attorneys; testify in court; and conduct work in a lab environment for the recovery of latent prints and other physical evidence.
- Supervisory duties include participating in the hiring of new employees; conducting performance evaluations of unit members; training and mentoring employees; and coordinating training and continuing education for unit members.
- A Bachelor’s degree in forensics or other police/science-related field (Master’s degree preferred) and five years’ experience in the field is required.
- Completion of Level One Certified Crime Scene Investigator through the International Association for Identification (IAI) required.
- Completion of Level Three Senior Crime Scene Investigator through IAI within four years of employment will be required.
- Level Two Senior Crime Scene Investigator through IAI as well as experience in latent print examination, bloodstain pattern analysis and shooting reconstruction are preferred.
- A minimum of two years’ supervisory experience is preferred.
- All candidates must possess a valid Illinois Class D driver’s license and will be required to successfully pass a polygraph test as well as a post-offer drug screen.
- Top candidates will have skills in utilizing and maintaining related instrumentation, equipment and computers pertaining to physical evidence.
- Additionally, preferred candidates are those with knowledge in crime scene processing, legal issues pertaining to physical evidence, and knowledge in the usage and application of all conventional and digital photography and videotaping.
- The ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with attorneys, police personnel, coroner’s office, crime laboratory personnel, and the general public is required.
The City of Naperville, Illinois is a dynamic community of 148,000 residents, conveniently located 28 miles west of Chicago. Various publications have named Naperville as one of the best cities in the United States in which to live. The City has gained national recognition for our family-friendly environment, excellent schools and library system, low crime rate, and vibrant downtown area. It's also a great place to work!
Our municipal government employs over 900 dedicated individuals in a wide range of job categories and provides a dynamic & collaborative working environment, a forward-looking leadership team, and a competitive benefits package.
APPLY ON-LINE AT:
THE CITY OF NAPERVILLE IS AN E. O. E.
CLICK HERE for the City of Naperville's EEOP Utilization Report
The City of Naperville complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Individuals needing accommodations in the recruitment process should notify Human Resources in advance at (630) 305-7066.